This delicious tart takes a little bit of planning, First you poach the pears, which is a no-brainer. Then you make the shell, add the toppings and bake it again, et voilà – a beautifully golden colored, nicely caramelized tart!
French Almond Pear Tart
For the poached pears:
- 4 firm and ripe bosc pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 lemon
Instructions (for poaching the pears):
- Add all the ingredients but the pears in a large saucepan and bring it to a simmer.
- Add the pears, lower the heat and let it simmer for 15-25 minutes until the pears become tender, turning occasionally
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Store the pears in their liquid in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for at least a couple of days, until ready to assemble the tart.
For the tart shell:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 4.5 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, plus little extra for greasing the pan
- a dash of milk
Instructions (for the tart shell):
Here I used the same tart shell from my Blueberry Tart Recipe. It is incredibly buttery and crumbly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease a shallow 8.5-inch tart pan with butter.
- In a food processor, cream the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add in the flour and process until the dough forms coarse crumbs. Add in a dash of milk, and mix again. When it is ready, it will still be a loose, crumb-like mixture, not a ball of dough.
- Pour the mixture into your tart pan, and press down evenly to flatten and cover the surface of the pan, forming a little rim all around. Put in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
For the topping:
- 6 ounces almond paste, cut into small cubes
- 2 teaspoon flour
- 3 ounces unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum
- poached pears, drained and blotted dry, cut it into slices
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
Instructions (for the topping):
- In a stand mixer, mix the flour and the almond paste until well combined.
- Add the cubes of butter one by one until the mixture is smooth.
- Add egg, egg white and rum, beat to combine.
Instructions (for final assembling):
- Take the tart shell out of the oven.
- Spread the filling evenly over the baked tart shell.
- Fan the pears out over the almond filling, then press them in slightly.
- Sprinkle sliced almond on top.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 20-30 minutes or until the almond filling between the pears has browned.
- Remove the tart from the oven and glaze with liquid from the poached pears.
- Serve warm.
From the original recipe, I reduced the sugar in the poached pears and I did not add any sugar nor almond extract in the filling. This is because I used the same almond paste I used in my Almond Cake Recipe. It is made with two types of organic almonds from Sicily (Palma Girgenti and Mandorla Cuore) which adds a delicate and profound flavor that stands well on its own.
Now would you care for a slice?