I discovered this flavorful chicken dish during our visit in Budapest. The traditional recipe calls for sour cream at the end. I tried both and prefer to cook it without.
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs/wings
- 1 onion
- 6-7 Hungarian wax peppers & 1-2 other type of non-spicy peppers
- 3 tablespoons of Hungarian paprika
- Pat both sides of chicken dry with paper towel.
- Sauté chicken on both sides until brown.
- In a Dutch oven, on low heat, sauté onion in olive oil, until translucent.
- Turn the heat off and let it cool for 1-2 minutes, add paprika and mix evenly into a paste.
- Add the chicken pieces and blend well.
- Add water, salt and the chopped peppers, let it come to a boil then simmer on low heat until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with your favorite rice or pasta