This recipe works with any type of fresh oily fish with a fatty texture, such as sea bass, black cod, and halibut.
Pickled Chili Peppers (Hunan Style)
- Fresh red hot chili peppers (pick the type based on your preferred spice tolerance)
- Ginger, minced
- Garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Chinese cooking wine
- Wash the fresh chili peppers and dry thoroughly.
- Mince the chili peppers, discard the stems.
- Put the minced chili peppers and garlic in a large bowl, season with salt and cooking wine. Mix until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a sterilize clamp-lid or pickling jar.
- Store the jar in a dark, dry and cool place for a week.
- Fresh halibut steak or filet
- Ginger, shreded
- Scallions, shreded
- 1-2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1-2 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- White pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pickled chili peppers, optional (see recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil, optional
- 6-12 pieces Szechuan Peppercorn, optional
- 1 cluster of Shimeji mushrooms, optional
- Cilantro, optional
- Rinse the fish and dry thoroughly. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Layer the bottom of a large plate – that can fit into a steamer – with 3/4 of mushrooms and 1/2 of the scallions and ginger slices.
- Put the fish on top and decorate the top with pickled chili peppers, the rest of mushrooms and ginger slices.
- Sprinkle soy sauce and cooking wine evenly across the fish.
- Insert the plate in a steamer. Let it come to a boil and steam for 5-6 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil on medium high.
- Add a handful of Szechuan peppercorn and let it cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- When the fish is ready, sprinkle the rest of the scallions across the top and immediately pour the Szechuan peppercorn oil on top and let it sizzle.
- Decorate the plate with Cilantro.